GREAT COPY TOOLS
Various Tools to copy text only, a full screen, partial document or page, folders and documents
Note of Explanation
“Right click” versus “left click.” You have a right and left button on the mouse and a right or left area on the touchpad. The direction to right or left click is specific and like a 2 step dance: right click an empty space and you get a “drop down menu” that literally appears in a small window giving you a number of choices. Then select the proper choice like “copy,” “cut,” “paste.” This step selects your action just like you select a hamburger and shake from the Burger Place. To “order” to the waitress (and computer!) you left click to “execute” the selected action or menu item, and you do it in a blank area so you don’t accidentally choose or execute a command or document you didn’t mean to.
- Screenshots: Purpose-Copy the entire screen wherever you are!
- Windows key at the bottom left of screen-hold it down, at same time tap the A key
- Screen is copied to the “Pictures” Folder in Windows Explorer/File Explorer, into the “Screenshots” subfolder.
- You can leave it there or move it elsewhere. To move the screenshot open the subfolder, touch the new screenshot with left click/button, and screenshot turns darker
- Let go of the mouse, then right click, find “cut” in the menu and left click it.
- Move to the folder where you want to transfer the screenshot to, go to an open space in the folder, right click, select “paste” in the drop down menu, then left click “paste.”
- Snipping Tool: Capture any size of the screen from a square inch to the entire screen-y you select the exact size and portion you want to save.
- Example, webpage may have a lot of text and several pictures and you only want small picture with panda bear in it.
- How to: double click snipping tool icon, in the drop down menu you’ll see “New”
- To the right of that see the small triangle, touch it and the drop down menu shows “rectangular snip”
- Select that, then go to the top left of item/photo you want to snip, you’ll see a large plus sign +
- Hold down the left button and drag the + down and to the right side. When you see a Box (like a picture) of what you want to copy, let go of the mouse and you’ll see your “snip.”
- To save: go to the top left, select file, then save as, then name the file, and select the folder where you want to save this, then select save.
- Copy Text only from beginning to end of document or webpage.
- Hold down Ctrl key (bottom left) and tap key A.
- Right click, select “copy” from drop down menu, and left click copy.
- Move to file (new or old) you want to copy the text to and place cursor to the spot where you want to insert the text, right click, select “paste” and left click paste.
- Copy selected text only and save file in Notepad:
- Move the cursor to top left of text you want to copy
- Hold down left button, drag down holding button down and move to spot of text you want to end at. Let go of left button.
- Right click, select “copy” from menu, move to the other document you are copying to, right click, paste.
- Copy Documents or Folders: Tag the document or folder you want to copy, right click “copy,” move to the new folder where you want to copy the document or folder, select a blank area, right click-select “paste” then left click “paste.”
NOTE: THERE MAY BE COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS TO COPYING FROM THE INTERNET, WEBSITES, OR OTHER SOURCES. THAT IS A SUBJECT NOT ADDRESSED IN THIS WEBSITE. I MAKE NO ASSERTIONS OR REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING THAT LAW AND COPYING TEXT. I’M JUST GIVING YOU A TOOL THAT YOU MAY WANT TO USE. YOU ASSUME THE RISK IN COPYING.